Cutting tools are wedge-shaped and sharp-edged tools used to remove excess layers of material from a workpiece to obtain the desired shape and size. This is also known as the process of deformation.
Choosing the right cutting tool (and its manufacturer) requires careful preparation and deliberation. Below is a list of tips to consider to help your selection:
- Form an internal team: You cannot make a strategic decision alone. Buying a new cutting tool should have input from every department involved. Each department may convey its requirements and concerns before machine selection.
- Work closely with suppliers: Companies should utilize their supply chains to realize better results. A trusted cutting tool manufacturer should be willing to provide educational materials about new tools and technologies, plus additional services like a trial run and training support.
- Look for a certified supplier: Look for an ISO-certified supplier who can guarantee that they maintain the high standards of their products. The ISO seal sets apart rogue from genuine suppliers who generate high-quality cutting tools.
- Total cost: You need to consider the operational costs, maintenance costs, and equipment requirements. Making the right blade choice weighs on three factors:
- Equipment and blade life
- Cost per cut
- Long-term productivity of the machine
- Capabilities: Analyze and evaluate all the offerings the cutting tool manufacturer provides. Which processes do they specialize in? The answer to this question may save you on total program costs. What materials do they work with? Common materials used in tooling are aluminum, steel, cast iron, carbides, and composites. Ensure that they understand the volume required of the tool, as it will impact the material chosen.
- Experience: Cutting tool design and manufacturing is not for every company. It requires experience both at the individual and company level. It should be confirmed that the supply partner has enough experience to avoid costly mistakes in the future.
- Timing: This is the reason why some firms go abroad for tools. This leads to higher costs to meet program deadlines. Finding a cutting tool manufacturer who can quickly make quality tools is not easy. You need to find a partner who will be able to produce quality tools within a reasonable timeline.
- Warranty: Manufacturers offer warranties to guarantee that they can repair your cutting tools within a specified period if they have defects. Warranties provide consumer protection. It is a guarantee for your money’s worth.
- Transportation problems: When buying from an overseas or online manufacturer, you should always consider transportation issues. Items should not be damaged in transit. Consider custom regulations, shipment paperwork, fees, packaging, and insurance.
- Keep up with the latest innovations: If the cutting tool manufacturer is up to date with the latest trends, they can guarantee the best cutting tools. For example, PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) coating on cutting tools is an advantage because it reduces the wear and tear of the tool due to friction.
Choosing the right cutting tool manufacturer should entail full awareness of the big picture and not just the short-term cost savings. Understanding the manufacturer’s capabilities, experience, and timing while using a thorough supplier development process will put you in the best position to win in the long run.
Suncoast Precision Tools have the best cutting tools on the market. They meet all the criteria listed above. You can be assured that you will have quality products quickly with a partner that you can trust for all your cutting tool needs.