Gastric sleeve surgery is surgery for weight loss. If you suffer from health problems owing to excess weight, it might be worthwhile considering this procedure. However, it is not a simple procedure. There are seven truths about gastric sleeve surgery to consider before taking this option. The operation costs between £7,000 and £11,000 in the UK. It can be more affordable in other countries, like Poland.
7 Truths about Gastric Sleeve Surgery
These are the things you must consider.
- It’s difficult for NHS patients to get this operation quickly in the UK as the NHS list is a long one. However, getting gastric sleeve abroad is possible. It’s a legal way to jump the queue and it can even work out cheaper in some instances.
- This operation is usually performed on adults between the ages of 18 and 65, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35.
- One of the operationeffects is that it produces rapid weight loss and sagging skin. This can make it difficult to exercise and dress and skin rashes and infections can follow. Other side effects include indigestion and newly-developed intolerance to certain foods.
- This is a laparoscopic operation, which means it’s performed by making small incisions. It lasts just two hours and requires a 2 to three day hospital stay.
- It also involves removing a hormone called ghrelin, which causes hunger.
- It helps reduce hypertension, asthma, cholesterol, joint pains and other obesity- related illnesses. It also reduced your cancer risk.
- To benefit fully from this operation, you must be willing to make permanent lifestyle adjustments, especially in your diet. Otherwise, the benefits will be minimal.
Is This Surgery for You?
As you can see, there’s a lot to consider before opting for gastric sleeve surgery. If you decide to opt for it, go ahead and make the arrangements. Remember to prepare properly for the operation. The preparation is very important. This is true whether you get gastric sleeve abroad or in the UK.